Wheels Blog: An Amazingly Simple Way to Add Air-Conditioning to Your Car

For one reason or another, there are plenty of people who don’t have air-conditioning in their cars. I happen to be one of them. I don’t know why, it’s just been broken for years, and every time I get to the point where I have time to fix it, it’s cold outside again and I don’t care anymore.

Whatever the case – you’re saving money for a European vacation or the dog got sick last spring – you may be someone with no air-conditioning when it’s disgustingly hot outside. Fear not. After digging through a bunch of summer themed YouTube videos (one was even narrated in Tagalog), I’ve found a temporary (or semipermanent if you, like me, are that guy) solution to your hot weather automotive problem.

I’ll preface this by saying that my personal favorites in the realm of YouTube videos aren’t the ones where the host (or whatever it is you call someone who makes a habit of posting on YouTube) buys some little gadget at the store to solve a problem. I prefer when the Internet do-it-yourselfer makes something out of bits and pieces that cost less than $10.

A fine example is the homemade air-conditioning unit featured in this video, consisting of only a cheap dash fan, a five-gallon bucket and several two-liter bottles filled with water and frozen. The guy couldn’t have spent more than $15 on this contraption, and although it would eat up a bit of legroom, looks like it would work swimmingly well in the relatively close confines of a pickup truck cab, which is where I intend to try it. I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment